enigneer

I have received a letter from the IRS regarding a 'Taxpayer Identification issue'

In the upper right hand corner of page one do you have the letters LTR or CP with a number following it? If so what is the letters and numbers?

enigneer

I would like to speak with someone by telephone.   I paid for 'Audit Assistance,' when, and if needed.

enigneer

YES. LTR  5071C

macuser_22

A request for identification is not an audit and is not unusual.    TurboTax cannot help.  The IRS simply wants you to prove that you are who you say you are.  There can be many reasons that have nothing to do with you at all but might be what another taxpayer filed or just a random  check.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-5071c-or-6331c

And do what the letter says.

The audit protection cannot help you with this letter. Read it carefully & follow the instructions and call as directed to verify your identity. Only you can do this for you.