turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

enigneer

I have received a letter from the IRS regarding a 'Taxpayer Identification issue'

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have received a letter from the IRS regarding a 'Taxpayer Identification issue'

In the upper right hand corner of page one do you have the letters LTR or CP with a number following it? If so what is the letters and numbers?

enigneer

I would like to speak with someone by telephone.   I paid for 'Audit Assistance,' when, and if needed.

enigneer

YES. LTR  5071C

A request for identification is not an audit and is not unusual.    TurboTax cannot help.  The IRS simply wants you to prove that you are who you say you are.  There can be many reasons that have nothing to do with you at all but might be what another taxpayer filed or just a random  check.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-5071c-or-6331c

And do what the letter says.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The audit protection cannot help you with this letter. Read it carefully & follow the instructions and call as directed to verify your identity. Only you can do this for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies