turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clsmth31

I have contacted my employer to ask about any mistakes that they have made on their w-2 for me so that I can amend my return. What can I do if they do not respond?

I contacted my employer multiple times to see what I could do to file an amended return. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything back from them. I am worried because I do not want to be stuck with a tiny return thanks to a potential mistake that was out of my control.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I have contacted my employer to ask about any mistakes that they have made on their w-2 for me so that I can amend my return. What can I do if they do not respond?

What kind of mistake?  Did you file your tax return already?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
clsmth31

I filed my taxes already, and the mistake that I think was the amount that was withheld by the employer so that the IRS can determine if I owe taxes or get a refund.

So you think the withholding in box 2 is wrong?  Do you have any paystubs to check against?  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It sounds like the employer may have withheld too little tax from your W2 resulting in you having a balance due on your account. If this is the case, there is little you can do at this point for tax year 2023.

If this is the case,  I suggest to have your employer withhold more tax this coming year. You may request this by submitting a W4 form to your employer. Here is a copy of a W4 you can download and complete to give to your employer. Read the instructions carefully on how to complete this to submit to your employer.

If this isn't the issue, please let us know by clarifying what your specific issue is.

clsmth31

So looks like my refund in 2023 was less than in 2022. Did my employer withhold less this time around as compared to 2022? I a 4-digit refund in 2022, and now I received a 2-digit refund. I am just getting clarification as to what happened between the years since I do not remember changing anything in my tax information with my employer.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Without looking at your return it is impossible to know why your refund is less this year.

Your employer withhold taxes based on the information reported by you on the W-4 form

There are many reasons that your refund could be less than what you expected, such as:

• Your Income increased but you didn't adjust you withholding.
  • You did not qualified for the full amount of the Child Tax Credit. If you don't have any Tax liability you will only receive the additional Child Tax Credit.
  • You changed your Filing Status.
  • You didn't qualify for the Earned Income credit. When you qualify, the credit amount will go up as you earn more income, but once you earn too much, it will go down eventually to zero. TurboTax will figure out exactly how much you’ll receive..
  • Received unemployment benefits, but didn't have any taxes withheld.  

I recommend that you make a line by line comparison with last year's return to see what is different this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies