Solved: I HAVE A CHILD THAT GOES TO COLLEGE AND WORKS HOW MUCH DOES HE NEED TO MAKE TO FILE A RETURN

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HAVE A CHILD THAT GOES TO COLLEGE AND WORKS HOW MUCH DOES HE NEED TO MAKE TO FILE A RETURN

MY SON IS 19 FULL TIME STUDENT AND MADE 7799 LAST YEAR DOES HE NEED TO OR DOES HE NEED TO FILE AN RETURN?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I HAVE A CHILD THAT GOES TO COLLEGE AND WORKS HOW MUCH DOES HE NEED TO MAKE TO FILE A RETURN

It depends on what type of income he received, and whether he's your dependent, but if the $7,799 were from wages, he wouldn't need to file a return, either way.

Please see the TurboTax FAQs below -- the first addresses his filing requirements if he's your dependent, and the second addresses his requirements if he's not your dependent.

Do I need to file my own taxes if I'm a dependent?
Do I need to file a federal return this year? 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It depends on what type of income he received, and whether he's your dependent, but if the $7,799 were from wages, he wouldn't need to file a return, either way.

Please see the TurboTax FAQs below -- the first addresses his filing requirements if he's your dependent, and the second addresses his requirements if he's not your dependent.

Do I need to file my own taxes if I'm a dependent?
Do I need to file a federal return this year? 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings