Solved: I had send $12000 to india on 2016 for paying my s...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarathkra

I had send $12000 to india on 2016 for paying my student loan in bank. Do I need to file deliquent FBAR for sending more than $10000 in a year in this case ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 12
Level 12

I had send $12000 to india on 2016 for paying my student loan in bank. Do I need to file deliquent FBAR for sending more than $10000 in a year in this case ?

@sarathkra , 

1. there is no requirement to file FBAR for sending  money outwards internationally -- if sent to a person or entity.  However, if this money rested in a bank account  that you own or have signature authority, then to the extent that the balance  in the account rises to the FBAR threshold , then yes you needed to file  FBAR  ( form 114  at FinCen.gov -- generally through BSA e-filing).

2. are you currently a US citizen/Resident ( Green Card )/ Resident for tax purposes ?  How about 2016 calendar year and / or years thereafter?

Namaste

pk

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pk
Level 12
Level 12

@sarathkra , 

1. there is no requirement to file FBAR for sending  money outwards internationally -- if sent to a person or entity.  However, if this money rested in a bank account  that you own or have signature authority, then to the extent that the balance  in the account rises to the FBAR threshold , then yes you needed to file  FBAR  ( form 114  at FinCen.gov -- generally through BSA e-filing).

2. are you currently a US citizen/Resident ( Green Card )/ Resident for tax purposes ?  How about 2016 calendar year and / or years thereafter?

Namaste

pk

View solution in original post

sarathkra

Thanks for clarifying. Yes both times I was US person (h1b/green card)

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings