Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I gave the IRS my banking information for 2019 Tax Return, but I wasn't asked to give it for 2020 Tax Return. Am I going to get a paper stimulus check instead of direct deposit for the $1400?

It looks like there's a strong possibility that the next Stimulus Check of $1400 will be passed in the American Rescue Plan bill. I had no income so last year I filled out the Non Filer Form here on TurboTax which was basically a 2019 Tax Return and I was able to include my banking information so I got the $1200 and $600 Stimulus Checks via direct deposit. I was told that they could possible only use the 2020 Tax Return for the new $1400 Stimulus Check so in a rush I efiled a 2020 Tax Return with $1 income so I wasn't asked to add banking information since I'm not getting a refund. The 2020 Tax Return got accepted by State and Federal. Someone told me that you had to give the IRS banking information every single year so I'm wondering since I wasn't told to enter in my banking information for the 2020 Tax Return and  if they go off of that one for the $1400 Stimulus Check does that mean that they don't have my banking information and I will be mailed a paper check or debit card even though I gave them my banking information for 2019 or does the IRS keep it on file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I gave the IRS my banking information for 2019 Tax Return, but I wasn't asked to give it for 2020 Tax Return. Am I going to get a paper stimulus check instead of direct deposit for the $1400?

Yes, they have it on file.

If the first and second stimulus payments went to your direct deposit account, and you did not change that on your 2020 return, (even though you had NO bank info on your 2020 return), the possible third payment will be sent to the same direct deposit as the first and second. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Really!? I was lied to? Someone not here was claiming to have worked for the IRS in the past and they told me that every year you need to re enter in your bank account information or confirm it and the IRS puts it on file again. It sounded like the IRS deletes all banking information every year from their servers after you get your refund. Since I don't qualify for a refund for 2020 because I filed with no income TurboTax didn't tell me to confirm or reenter my banking information. So if you filed taxes with the IRS and give them your banking information once they have that information forever until you contact them to change it, is that what you're saying?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You do not need to re-enter your bank account information every year. If you have a new account and need to change the information, then you would need to add the new information.

@PattiF so just to make sure because I had no income I filled out the Non Filer Form here on TurboTax which was a 2019 Tax Return and I entered in my bank account information. I ended up getting both the $1200 and $600 checks via direct deposit. I filled out a 2020 Tax Return here on TurboTax, but didn't enter in my banking information it never asked or required me to because I'm filing a zero income Tax Return again so I'm not getting a refund. You're telling me that the IRS does still have my banking information from last year and they will deposit the $1400 even if I don't give them banking information on my 2020 Tax Return? Is that right?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The IRS will have your bank information on file and use that for the third stimulus payment. 

If you were to close that bank account before the payment is sent to the bank, then the IRS would mail a payment to you.

jbddb
Returning Member

Where do you add the new bank account info

jbddb
Returning Member

Where and how

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The only option remaining to update banking account information is to file the 2020 tax return. 

In the filing state inside TurboTax, direct deposit information is requested. It is there that the information included will update the IRS records. 

For more information, see: Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number?

From the IRS Get My Payment Frequently Asked Question regarding Bank Account Information:

Your bank account information cannot be changed.

The bank account information in Get My Payment came from one of the following sources:

• Your 2020 tax return.
  • Your 2019 tax return if your 2020 return was not processed when the IRS started issuing payments.
  • Information you entered on your Non-Filer registration in 2020.
  • Information you entered on Get My Payment in 2020.
  • A federal agency that provides you benefits, such as: the Social Security Administration, Veteran Affairs or the Railroad Retirement Board.
  • Federal records of recent payments to or from the government, where available, for those without direct deposit information on file with the IRS.

If you don’t recognize the bank account number displayed in the Get My Payment tool it does not mean your deposits were made to the wrong account or that there is a fraud. If you do not recognize the account number, it may be an issue related to how information is displayed in the tool tied to temporary accounts used for refund loans/banking products. You do not need to complete Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. 

@jbddb

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies