turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found out that i have both my 1098-E forms (2018-19) which i previously thought i didn't but my returns were already accepted. Can i use them for next years returns?

Like when i begin filing next year can i use both my 2018 and 2019 1098-E forms to increase my returns?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I found out that i have both my 1098-E forms (2018-19) which i previously thought i didn't but my returns were already accepted. Can i use them for next years returns?

No, you cannot use a prior year form on next year's return (or last year's on this year's).  You must deduct the interest paid in the year paid.

You can amend the return to include the amount that you forgot about, though, if it would result in an additional refund.  

After you receive your refund - in approximately three weeks (longer if you have an additional child tax credit or earned income tax credit), you will need to amend your tax return by filing Form 1040X.  To do this, you will log back into TurboTax and select the option "I need to amend my tax return."

You can find more detailed instructions on that process here: How to amend a tax return in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies