Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttbgwh

I filed the other day, received another 1099-SA I did not expect. I need to add this info to my return

also how is the interest earned on these has account accounted for? the bank applies it back to the account. is this a contribution by me? I have to account for the interest as income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I filed the other day, received another 1099-SA I did not expect. I need to add this info to my return

No you will not have to account for the interest in an HSA account. That is one of the perks of an HSA-the interest grows in the account tax-free.

Because you have already filed, you will need amend your return. However, there is no rush. The 1040X form will not be ready until mid-February. In the meantime, make no changes to your original return. This can really mess things up.  When the form is ready, check the link below for directions to amending your return.

Wait until the return is accepted/rejected before you amend the return and add the 1099-SA. If rejected, you can go back in and add the 1099-SA. If you’re having trouble getting your return to open up, try below.

• Select MyTurboTax in the upper left
  • Under Some Things you can do, select Add state
  • Then select My Account, Tools, Topic Search, type 1099-SA in the box and then select GO

If your return is accepted, wait until the original return is fully processedIf you had a refund/tax payment due wait until you receive the refund or the payment is processed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No you will not have to account for the interest in an HSA account. That is one of the perks of an HSA-the interest grows in the account tax-free.

Because you have already filed, you will need amend your return. However, there is no rush. The 1040X form will not be ready until mid-February. In the meantime, make no changes to your original return. This can really mess things up.  When the form is ready, check the link below for directions to amending your return.

Wait until the return is accepted/rejected before you amend the return and add the 1099-SA. If rejected, you can go back in and add the 1099-SA. If you’re having trouble getting your return to open up, try below.

• Select MyTurboTax in the upper left
  • Under Some Things you can do, select Add state
  • Then select My Account, Tools, Topic Search, type 1099-SA in the box and then select GO

If your return is accepted, wait until the original return is fully processedIf you had a refund/tax payment due wait until you receive the refund or the payment is processed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies