Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtknudson

I filed my taxes for my son (made less than $2000 last year). When filing my taxes, it won't let me claim my son because on his form we missed selecting he can be claimed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed my taxes for my son (made less than $2000 last year). When filing my taxes, it won't let me claim my son because on his form we missed selecting he can be claimed

Then you will have to mail your return this year even if he amends. So you don't have to wait.  He has to amend his return.

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

If your son's return was filed without checking the box that said he could be claimed as a dependent, then his return will have to be amended after it has been fully processed. But you do not have to wait for him to amend.  The only way you can file now is by mail.   You put his SSN into the system and it will be impossible to e-file another return using his SSN.  Print, sign and mail your own return that claims your son as a dependent.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jtknudson

If I amend my son's return on Turbo Tax using the 1040X form, the online Turbo Tax amend process is not giving me an option to select that he can be claimed by someone else (me). Do I just proceed with the amendment and then mail my return?

When you amend your son's return---go to My Info-----go through the screens to the question that asks if he can be claimed as someone else's dependent. Say YES to that question.

You do not have to wait for the amended return to be processed in order to mail your own return.  Mail it whenever you have it ready.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies