kh-johnston

I filed my taxes and received another tax form from a separate job, after filing. I amend my taxes to add the the other w2 but the second tax form is not showing on ap.

You cannot add information to a pending tax return! You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

HelenaC

Until your return moves into accepted status, you won't be able to amend. In fact, you won't be able to do anything with your return.  If you're amending to claim more money, the IRS says to wait until you've received your original refund before filing an amendment.

Once you've received your original refund, feel free to cash or spend it while your amendment gets processed (this can take 12–16 weeks).

Three weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site.

The IRS Form 1040X for 2017 won't be available until late January or early February 2018. To check back and see if Form 1040X is available, click on How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

[Edited 1-22-18|7:24 am PST]