Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sethbaab7

I filed married filed jointly and I am under the threshold of 150,000 for the CTC. I received $5,100 for the CTC in 2021, so why am I not receiving the remaining credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

I filed married filed jointly and I am under the threshold of 150,000 for the CTC. I received $5,100 for the CTC in 2021, so why am I not receiving the remaining credit?

To receive the remaining Child Tax Credit, you will need to enter your advanced payments and TurboTax will automatically calculate the additional amount for your 2021 return. Please follow these steps:

1. You should have received Letter 6419 from the IRS which states the amount of Advanced Child Tax Credit you have already received. If you do not have that letter, you can get the information from the IRS website
  2. In your TurboTax return search for Child Tax Credit and use the Jump to link and hit Continue.
  3. Answer the question on the Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021 screen and Continue.
  4. On the Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments screen, answer Yes, enter the amount from your letter in the Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments box, and Continue.
    1. If your spouse also received payments, be sure to enter that amount as well as a combined total for both of you.
  5. Answer the questions on the following screens, confirm your amount on the Let's recheck your advance Child Tax Credit payments screen, and Continue.

If you received $5,100 in advance, make sure to enter it as it appeared on your Letter 6419 which should split the amount evenly between you and your spouse. If you enter $5,100 for both of you, then the system will think you already received the full $10,200.

sethbaab7

So would the "Your tax breaks" screen in turbo tax show "advance payments, child and other dependent tax credits" as $10,200 or $5,100?  Right now it shows $5,100 which in mind is saying that I am receiving the second half of my credit.  If that is the case why did my federal return basically go down by almost the same amount as the child tax credit I received in 2021?

Look at the form 1040 line 28 ...  

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Correct, the $5,100 is showing that you are getting that remaining credit on your 2021 tax return. The reason your return went down by $5,100 when you entered the Advanced Child Tax Credit is that before you entered that you had already received the $5,100, the credit on the tax return was for the full $10,200. 

As @Critter-3 instructed, to verify that you are receiving the $5,100 on your tax return, you can follow these steps:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.
  4. Scroll down a few pages to Line 28 Refundable child tax credit or additional child tax credit from Schedule 8812.  The $5,100 should be on that line. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies