• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidbuidavis

I filed for extension through TurboTax (Form 4868) and see box 8 "out of the country and a U.S. citizen or resident" unchecked when it should be checked. Can I amend?

Related question: Form 4868 provides a 4 month extension for those "out of the country." I am out of the country so my understanding is that my extension will be April 15 + 4 months, or August 15, 2019. However, I plan to file Form 2350, which will allow me to file in October 2019, giving me enough time to qualify for the foreign income exclusion act as I moved overseas in October 2018. That being said, should I have not submitted Form 4868 which only gives me a 4 month extension?

I have a $500 estimated tax payment submitted through Form 4868, so would like to understand if I should cancel Form 4868 and only submit Form 2350.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I filed for extension through TurboTax (Form 4868) and see box 8 "out of the country and a U.S. citizen or resident" unchecked when it should be checked. Can I amend?

There is no need to cancel Form 4868. Form 4868 used to be an extension to August 15th but they changed it a few years back so now it is a 6 month extension until October 15, 2019.

I would still go ahead and file Form 2350.  Often, people send both extensions to the IRS.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

There is no need to cancel Form 4868. Form 4868 used to be an extension to August 15th but they changed it a few years back so now it is a 6 month extension until October 15, 2019.

I would still go ahead and file Form 2350.  Often, people send both extensions to the IRS.

View solution in original post

davidbuidavis

Thank you Karen! Is it a problem that my Form 4868 has Box 8 incorrectly stated? It should be checked, but it is not.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

No. I don't think it is a problem.   You can just send the 2350 extension.  That will be the important extension.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v