davidbuidavis

I filed for extension through TurboTax (Form 4868) and see box 8 "out of the country and a U.S. citizen or resident" unchecked when it should be checked. Can I amend?

Related question: Form 4868 provides a 4 month extension for those "out of the country." I am out of the country so my understanding is that my extension will be April 15 + 4 months, or August 15, 2019. However, I plan to file Form 2350, which will allow me to file in October 2019, giving me enough time to qualify for the foreign income exclusion act as I moved overseas in October 2018. That being said, should I have not submitted Form 4868 which only gives me a 4 month extension?

I have a $500 estimated tax payment submitted through Form 4868, so would like to understand if I should cancel Form 4868 and only submit Form 2350.

KarenJ

There is no need to cancel Form 4868. Form 4868 used to be an extension to August 15th but they changed it a few years back so now it is a 6 month extension until October 15, 2019.

I would still go ahead and file Form 2350.  Often, people send both extensions to the IRS.

KarenJ

davidbuidavis

Thank you Karen! Is it a problem that my Form 4868 has Box 8 incorrectly stated? It should be checked, but it is not.
KarenJ

No. I don't think it is a problem.   You can just send the 2350 extension.  That will be the important extension.