• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zacrobbi95

I feel like I’m not actually going to get help but I lost my W-2. I can’t get in contact with IRS or previous employer. The restaurant closed down. I need last W-2

I’ve reached out the the private owner with no response. TurboTax is only offering assistance with additional fees
2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

I feel like I’m not actually going to get help but I lost my W-2. I can’t get in contact with IRS or previous employer. The restaurant closed down. I need last W-2

TurboTax cannot get your W

You can get a free "Wage and Income" transcript form the IRS but that is is not a copy of the W-2 and contains no state information.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

You can get an exact copy of the W-2 from the Social Security Administration for $90 per copy.
https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

macuser-22 has good suggestions. 

Note: The Wage and Income Transcript shows data from information returns the IRS received such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. 

You could also file a substitute W-2. See How do I file a substitute W-2 using Form 4852? However, you won't be able to e-file your income tax return(s).

If your substitute W2 is different than what the IRS has on file, the IRS will send you a letter with their numbers. You'll be able to agree or disagree with their numbers. Your return will be delayed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v