I entered my direct deposit account number incorrectly by one number on my already accepted returns. What do I need to do to fix this problem and ensure I get my refund?

If the IRS is unable to direct deposit your refund (as is likely from your description), then the IRS will cut a check for your refund and mail it to the address at the top of form 1040. The IRS will not change the direct deposit information over the phone, because of fear of fraud and identity theft.

It will take longer, but your refund will come.

What happens if that happens to be someone else’s account number. How would I know if it got put into someone else’s account or not. Also will the state deposit re direct as well?

The bank will compare the name with the account number, and when they turn out not to match, the bank will bounce the deposit back to the IRS, who will then mail you a check.

I do not know which state you filed in, but I would imagine that the process is generally the same.