Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I dont want to amend my return

1 Reply
New Member

I dont want to amend my return

If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, carefully follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:

  1. Open your return in TurboTax Online.
  2. Click Review near the top of your screen and keep going until you reach the You're Done! Print and Mail Your Returns screen.
  3. Delete Form 1040X from your return:
    1. From the My Account dropdown in the upper right corner, select Tools.
    2. In the pop-up window, click Delete a form.
    3. On the Review Form List screen, click Delete next to Form 1040X, and then click Delete Selected Form on the next screen.
    4. Click Continue.
  4. Near the top of your screen, click Federal Taxes (or Personal in Home & Business) > Other Tax Situations > scroll down to Other Tax Forms > then click Start or Update next to Amend a Return.
  5. Click Continue on the following screen (We'll help you amend) and then answer No, I don't need to amend to the question Have you already filed this return? Click Continue.
  6. Answer Yes when asked if you want to delete the Amended Wks and/or Form 1040X. Your return has now been properly "unamended."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies