Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I daytrade stocks. My tax return was accepted. However, I needed to mail Form 8453 along with 8949 OR "acceptable Continuation Sheet for Schedule D", there's a form called Schedule D in my TurboTax, it's 3 pages, This is all I need right?

The 8949 is 20 pages, the Schedule D is 3 pages. I want to save paper..but idk what the heck is "acceptable Continuation Sheet"

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I daytrade stocks. My tax return was accepted. However, I needed to mail Form 8453 along with 8949 OR "acceptable Continuation Sheet for Schedule D", there's a form called Schedule D in my TurboTax, it's 3 pages, This is all I need right?

@CertifiedPublicAssistant 

IRS requires details of your SELL transactions to be supplied on some Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.

---

If your Form 8949 is 20 pages, that tells me you supplied the transaction details on your tax return already.

There is no reason to mail the details in again a second time.

@fanfare Yeah it's weird, I got this message at the end so I was worried. My Federal Tax return accepted already. Just waiting for CA to approve the state return. See my attachment.

E8059EB9-40E5-44B2-B8AF-E00C70742C6B.jpeg

The information to be mailed in is not available to be PRINTED from your tax return, by definition.

The only thing TurboTax could print for you is Form 8453, a cover sheet.

@CertifiedPublicAssistant 

I don't use TurboTax so I can't say what happens when you click Print Required Forms.

Thank u so much man, I appreciate your help 🙂 I will not send anything now. Woo so happy lol.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Just to follow-up on the prior posts, review your Form 8453 and see if there is a check-mark next to the line for Form 8949 (it will be the last item on Form 8453).  If there is a check-mark in that box, your Form 8949 was not electronically filed with your return.  Therefore, you will need to mail such Form 8949 to the IRS.  

Regarding the use of an "acceptable statement" in lieu of sending Form 8949, yes you can send such a document instead of sending Form 8949; however, your alternative statement needs to contain the same information.  You might be able to compress your 20 page Form 8949 into fewer pages which will cost less to send; however, you do need to include the same information as contained on Form 8949. 

@CertifiedPublicAssis...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@GeorgeM777 

" Therefore, you will need to mail such Form 8949 to the IRS.  "

what "such form" are you referring to?

any Form shown in the PDF printout of your tax return is electronically filed.

I already explained what was going on to @CertifiedPublicAssistant   .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies