Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I created a TurboTax online account by mistake. How do I stop the endless filing reminders even though I already filed via TurboTax desktop software?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I created a TurboTax online account by mistake. How do I stop the endless filing reminders even though I already filed via TurboTax desktop software?

See the following from TurboTax:

Q: Where can I go to opt out of receiving marketing e-mails? 
A:
 Customers can manage their contact options by visiting us at Privacy Preferences.

Q: I opted out of marketing contacts from Intuit, why am I still getting e-mails?
A:
 Your choice to opt-out only applies to promotional materials and not critical service notifications that could affect your service or software. Intuit respects your desire to not be contacted. We notify our customers about "critical service notices" because it may be necessary to contact customers to notify them about subscription expirations, provide order information such as confirmations, or alert them to an issue with a service or software that could negatively affect their continued use. Due to the financial nature of our products, customers cannot opt out of receiving these critical service notifications. We take care to limit these notices only to customers affected by the issue. Also, please note that if you have more than one email address, you can opt out of one and not the other(s).

-------------------------------

If you need more help you can contact TurboTax Support

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thanks but what I really want to do is delete my TT online account.  I assume then the reminders will stop?

You cannot delete an account that was registered so in your email say the notices are spam so you don't have to be bothered with them.  If you have not registered the account then you can clear the entries and don't start again but this will not delete the account. 

1.     While in your TurboTax Online program (after clicking Continue your return)
Select tools.

2.     Then click on Clear & start over.

3.     On the Are you sure you want to clear your return? pop up screen, if you are sure about clearing all your entries and starting over, click Yes.

4.     Then a new screen confirms you have cleared your entries, click Continue.

All of your entries will now be erased.

I guess I didn’t get far enough to even see the tools menu.  I don’t want to get charged for using this online product.   When I go to my Tt online account it still has the name , etc still blank but I see no tool menu.

You have to be IN the program ... click on any section to activate the program then the TOOLS menu will be presented. 

Ok thanks.  

Okay I cleared it.  I guess I'll set up my email to send their nag emails to spam.

I love Turbo Tax software and have used it for almost 20 years.

But I feel I was misled into to setting up a TT online account even though

I just wanted to buy the desktop software.  And to not have a way of completely

bailing on the online attempt (and to not be upfront about it!!!) resulting in a zombie account and nag emails is Real sketchy.

Anyway thanks for your help.

You missed the mark ... if you purchased a DOWNLOAD  program you needed to  set up an account that houses your downloads for future reference and downloading them again if needed.   

What you did is start an account to use the  ONLINE  program ... as you can see not the same thing.  

Yeah, I totally get that.  Just sucks that there was no warning that this unwanted online account could not be removed.  I took it as a "Hey try it out. No big deal if you don't file"  Well, maybe it doesn't cost anything, but sure is annoying!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies