marcfishhead252

I claimed the stimulus rebate credit and I received my check afterwards. How can I make the change and remove the credit?

If you have already filed your return, you need to wait and see whether your return gets accepted or rejected. The IRS currently won't start accepting or rejecting returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return is rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and resubmit the efile.
  • If your return will be accepted by the IRS, then you have to file an amended return (1040-X) to make changes. But you might want to wait until your refund or payment is fully processed.  In the meantime, do NOT make any changes to your original filing.  Also be aware that Form 1040-X can take several months to process.
DHkinney

This Helped Thank you!