turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

M31
Level 1

I claimed my boyfriend as a dependent but now he won’t get a stimulus package. Would doing an amendment to remove him do us any good? Then he could file alone.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I claimed my boyfriend as a dependent but now he won’t get a stimulus package. Would doing an amendment to remove him do us any good? Then he could file alone.

It depends if he had sufficient income to report. If he did not have enough income to require filing a return, then he needs to report direct deposit information to the IRS. However, the portal is not launched yet. TurboTax has a registration so that he can be notified. Go to this link to sign up and look for the registration: TurboTax Updates for Stimulus Payment Registration. It will look like the screenshot below.

For additional details from the IRS, click this link: IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief and Economic Impact Payments

@M31

M31
Level 1

@KathrynG3 @He did not have the income to file. Does a “other dependent” fall in the same category as qualified dependent, meaning he won’t get the stimulus 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Since you claimed him as a dependent, as it stands now, no, he will not be eligible for a stimulus check. 

There is "talk" that adults claimed as dependents COULD be included, but as of today, they are not. 

You COULD amend your return and then he could claim himself, but if he is your dependent, the IRS will not allow him to claim himself. 

Below is a link abut the people that won't be getting the checks:

Will adult dependents get stimulus checks

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
M31
Level 1

@KrisD15  thank you for that information. He is not my dependent and has filed past returns even for 2018. We thought this was the way to file but it has proven us wrong. Now when I amend I have to mail it in will this affect me getting my stimulus soon?  I filed The day it opened to file. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, you should still get your stimulus check. 

He can file and claim himself and also be eligible for a stimulus check. 

He might have to wait a bit while the IRS gets things sorted out. 

You should get the stimulus check soon.

After you amend, his exemption will be freed up. 

He can also try registering with the IRS non-filer link, but if his exemption is claimed, he might have to wait until you file the amended return and his exemption is cleared. 

He can also file a paper return while your amended return is being processed. 

(If he doesn't need to file, he can try the IRS Non-filer link, but it might not work for him if his exemption has been claimed, in which case he would want to proceed to file on paper.)

Unfortunately it might take more time for him to get his check, but it should work out eventually. 

Try to stay strong and work through it.

IRS non-filer link

You get your check

You file an amended return and not claim him as dependent (if he isn't)

He tries to register on the IRS non-filer link if he doesn't need to file. 

If the link doesn't work, he needs to paper file and mail in a zero return with banking information for Direct Deposit or an address to get the check mailed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies