Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I claim my grandson, he marked he can be claimed on someone elses return yes, after preparing his return his state return is 0. he paid in $568.00

we live in illinois
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I claim my grandson, he marked he can be claimed on someone elses return yes, after preparing his return his state return is 0. he paid in $568.00

What is your question?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A tax return is the form you send to the government that shows your income and calculates your tax. The money the government sends back to you is your refund. I assume you mean that your grandson's state refund is zero.

You said "he paid in $568.00." Is that for federal, state, or both? You didn't say what kind of income he had, or how he "paid in." Did he work and get a W-2? If so, federal tax withheld would be in box 2 of his W-2, and state tax withheld would be in box 17 of his W-2. If his income is low, and he did not have any state tax withheld in box 17 of his W-2, then it would be normal for him to have no state refund and no state payment due.

As xmasbaby0 pointed out, you didn't ask a question. If you have a question, please provide more details, including the exact amounts in boxes 1, 2, 16, and 17 of your grandson's W-2.

IL withholdings are meant to keep the refunds as close to zero as possible so review the return ... was the tax liability on the IL return the same as the withholding ?   If so you will not get a refund of the excess state withholding since there is none. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies