Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

goldsmsd

I applied for my GreenCard last year, and recently received it, in February. Which tax return do must I apply for? 1040 normal/1040NR. How do I answer resident question?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I applied for my GreenCard last year, and recently received it, in February. Which tax return do must I apply for? 1040 normal/1040NR. How do I answer resident question?

How long were you in the United States last year?  Are you married? If so, where is your spouse's residence, in US or abroad?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
goldsmsd

I got Married in November

I was in the USA all year last year
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

And what was your visa status last year?
goldsmsd

F1 - student
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What is your spouse's residency status, and for how many years were you on F-1?
goldsmsd

My wife is a USA resident.

I have been F1 status for over 7 years
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

File a 1040 resident return.  Since you are beyond the 5-year F1 exclusion period for counting residency, you were a resident last year.  Since your wife is also a US resident, you will not need to make any special elections on your return.  You may prepare the US resident return as married filing joint (or married filing separately, but joint is usually more advantageous), and e-file the return.  Your green card status, based on these facts, does not affect your status for tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies