kmglover18

I amended my tax return, but I was refunded the original amount which is too much. What do I do?

WillK

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns. The IRS will process the original return and refund (or if you owe you need to make a payment) and then will process the amended return.   
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

WillK

1957pirate

I e filed the amended return before I got the refund based on the original return, therefore I do not have an amended return to file with my payment (they refunded me too much and I now owe).  How do I send them the money I owe?  And where do I send it.  I live in Washington State.
1957pirate

How long does it take for you folks to respond??  It's been quite a while.
emcglover2

I was told I need to wait for the IRS to process my amendment which could take a while.  I guess I will set the money aside until they send me a bill.