tstrobelt

I amended my tax return and got a new federal refund amount. Is this my new refund amount, or is this new total added to what was shown before I amended my return?

ShannonC

When you amend your return the refund meter drops to zero and begins to calculate the difference between your original return and the information you have added.

If it shows a refund amount and:

• You received a refund on your original return, then this amount is additional and you will receive a payment for the additional amount.
  • You owed taxes on the original return, this is the amount you over paid. The IRS will issue a payment to you.

ShannonC

If it shows a refund amount and: