Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended an accepted return and the IRS cash both checks. How do I get a refund for the difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I amended an accepted return and the IRS cash both checks. How do I get a refund for the difference?

You have two (2) options:

1. You can amend your return again and enter amount paid with return, Form 1040X Line 16, Total amount paid with request for extension of time to file, tax paid with original return, and additional tax paid after return was filed.
  2. Another option is to wait for the IRS to process your returns. They will generally catch the overpayment, send you an explanation letter and you'll be able to request the refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You have two (2) options:

1. You can amend your return again and enter amount paid with return, Form 1040X Line 16, Total amount paid with request for extension of time to file, tax paid with original return, and additional tax paid after return was filed.
  2. Another option is to wait for the IRS to process your returns. They will generally catch the overpayment, send you an explanation letter and you'll be able to request the refund.

Thanks Helen. How long does it usually take before they catch the mistake?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

The IRS is still in the process of catching up on paper returns as well as processing returns for 2020 with all of the tax season changes.

I'd recommend checking the following websites to see updates to your account.  Typically, it takes approximately 16 weeks for them to process an amended return.

Where's my amended return information from the IRS

View your tax account with the IRS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies