I am getting 2 messages and they condlict. one say...

mccuskerdm

I am getting 2 messages and they condlict. one says I need to do an update the other says my software is up to date

Attempting to efile a tax return both federal and state (Mass).

I think that may mean Federal is updated, but state is not.  A number of states are still implementing changes.

mccuskerdm

You may be right.  I efiled the Federal Return without the state return and it went.  I went back and tried to efile the state return and got the same message again.  So now I just wait until the state is updated.  Interestingly The state in question has not had any updates to TurboTax yet.  Thanks for the info. 

Plus now that you efiled federal you can't efile state until after Federal is Accepted.  And you might have to check the Efile status first.  

For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item  File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return with the status.  Go to File-Save.