Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

riclawson

I am filing multiple returns for my family. I completed my joint return, but when I try to open a state return for my daughter, it will not open. What do I do?

Using TT premier
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
riclawson

I am filing multiple returns for my family. I completed my joint return, but when I try to open a state return for my daughter, it will not open. What do I do?

Thanks. Yes, I am using TT for Windows. I completed fed returns for my joint filing, and two children. I completed the state return for my joint filing, but when I try to open a state return (same state of MI), I click the "start state" button and nothing happens. 

After poking around, I figured out that there is a bug in TT states. If a similar issue to above happens to you, try this:

1. On the toolbar at the top, go to Online --> download state.
  2. You will come to a download page that tries to get $45 from you to download another state. Don't do that! Simply close that window or cancel out.
  3. You will now be sent back to starting a state return and it should be able to open and continue guidance.

I think it has something to do with verifying your state download.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax online, each return must have its own account. You can use the same email however. 

How many returns can I file with TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please explain more.  Are you using the Desktop installed program?  What happens when you try to do a state return?  Did you fill out the federal for her?   Did you start a brand new return for her?  If you are using the Desktop program be sure to save frequently, go up to File-Save or Save As.  Save each return with a name you can tell apart from another one.  Especially if another return has the same name or initial.  Like a father and son.  Or if you have the same name the second return might overwrite the first one. 

riclawson

Thanks. Yes, I am using TT for Windows. I completed fed returns for my joint filing, and two children. I completed the state return for my joint filing, but when I try to open a state return (same state of MI), I click the "start state" button and nothing happens. 

After poking around, I figured out that there is a bug in TT states. If a similar issue to above happens to you, try this:

1. On the toolbar at the top, go to Online --> download state.
  2. You will come to a download page that tries to get $45 from you to download another state. Don't do that! Simply close that window or cancel out.
  3. You will now be sent back to starting a state return and it should be able to open and continue guidance.

I think it has something to do with verifying your state download.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies