Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an international student & filed my taxes using TurboTax. I got my federal tax refund. I realized that I can't use TurboTax. How do I return that money and amend it?

I am an international student living and studying in the U.S.A. I initially filed my 2016 federal and state taxes using TurboTax and it was approved by IRS and I even got my Federal tax refund. But later I found that I can't use TurboTax as it will assume that I am a US resident. Now, I know that I have to amend it using Form 1040X and file them again properly but I don't know what should I do with the federal tax refund that I received, considering it was not based on 1040 NR-EZ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am an international student & filed my taxes using TurboTax. I got my federal tax refund. I realized that I can't use TurboTax. How do I return that money and amend it?

Could you please tell me what did you do? as I also did the same.

I prepared my tax documents using sprintax. Also, I attached an amendment form explaining the mistake I did. Then I mailed all of these documents to IRS.

Thank you for your response. Was the process successful? Also, did your get tax returns?

Yes, it was successful and I got my state tax returns in few months.

Thanks a ton. If you have time and if you can help me out with this in a bit detail that would be great.

If you filed with the wrong form Use Form 1040X to correct that.

Prepare the return using the correct form.

Fill out Form 1040X (where you will list the refund in hand) and send it with the corrected tax return. Explanation: "I filed with Form 1040 and should have filed Form 1040NR, attached"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies