wbolivia

I am amending my 2015 return and there is an additional federal refund due. I have directed TT to apply extra refund to my 2016 return, but it appears as refund.

I am amending a filed 2015 return. There is now an extra federal refund due to me. I have gone through TT and selected  personal, other tax situations, apply refund to next year, but the printed returns are not showing this direction and are showing a refund to me.

I do not want the refund and want the amount applied to 2016. 

Is there some reason why I can choose this in the TT software, but the printed 1040X does not show the refund being applied to next year?

If there is a way, what do I need to do to apply the refund to 2016?

Since you are using the 2015 desktop edition to complete the Form 1040X, just click on Forms.  In Forms mode open the Form 1040X if not already opened.  The refund is on Line 22.  On Line 23 enter the tax year and amount of the refund you want applied to that tax year.
Return to the interview by clicking on Step-by-Step in the upper right of the program screen.
When you print the amended return verify that what you entered is shown on the Form 1040X to be mailed.
Carl

On an amended return, if you are due additional refund the only thing the IRS will do is send you a paper check in the mail. THey will not direct deposit it, or anything else.