turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

b_fraire

I also got a 4464c letter from the irs my return was a simple one filed single and now their checking me out ive never had a problem before in my life with my taxes why now

Best of luck this next year to all of us who waited so long!! 🙂 Happy Holidays

I also got a 4464c letter from the irs my return was a simple one filed single and now their checking me out ive never had a problem before in my life with my taxes why now

The IRS said they are doing verification of income on my wife's employment. I spoke with the employer they stated the IRS was very vague on the phone of their needs. The IRS called the HR personal cell for some reason. She attempted to call the IRS back and they did not answer and she had to give information over voicemail. HR said they sent over everything just like everyone in the company. No one has had any problems besides my spouse. I thing it is a good way to withhold funds and earn a bit more interest on the money we hand over throughout the year. Gotta pay for the wall! Anyway one other note is this is the first year I've filed married jointly.  I filed Jan 29th 2018. They told me it will be a 45-60 day wait. I said and when does that time frame start? She said March 5th. So you are telling me I file my taxes in January and 6 months later I'll receive my return. Makes a lot of sense.

I still have not received my tax return. I called and they have stated I now need to wait an additional 60 days. I've asked if I can be proactive in any way and they said "no". It has now been 79 days since march 5th

Hello Everyone,

It is now December. I filed on April 15 (not early). I received a LTR 4464C on May 17 and have heard absolutely nothing since. I called main IRS number, then the advocate number and they referred me to the Automated Questionable Credit department (855-873-2100). When I called they said their system was down for 'who knows how long.' I don't know what to do, who to call, or should I just forget about it. I don't need to make any amendments (everything was fine). I did use TurboTax (grrrr), and I have two children I have claimed since birth, so nothing new or different except that my refund was significantly less this year because I lost the charitable contribution and home office deductions. Sigh. Anyone else like this? All of these comments are from early filers and seemed to end in June. Any shared stories is helpful!

Thank you 

Unfortunately a taxpayer advocate won’t do jack for you unless you’ve waited the entire period of time specified by the IRS to either approve your refund or deny it AND you have got to Have documented proof of hardship, ie (in the taxpayer advocates OWN words, these are the ONLY acceptable forms of a hardship): foreclosure or eviction notice, cut off notices, repossession notices, etc... Basically you’ve already got to have one foot in the door of being totally and utterly ruined and, for all intents and purposes, homeless and/or without utilities. This is beyond ridiculous because not all hardship can be officially documented, such as not having groceries or gas, and by the time cut off notices arrive, is it really wise to at that point, to be only about to begin to deal with the slowest department in the entire body of government in the world, the IRS??? It’s too late by then! 

I was wondering how long after you received the letter and posted this did you receive your tax refund? I also received the letter just yesterday and would like to know what I’m looking at, as far as time. Thanks in advance. 

I was wondering what exactly happened with your situation ecampos33

Same! Still haven't received my simple 2020 tax return!

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

his letter is sent by the IRS when verifying your income and income tax withholding. It looks quite ominous per the screenshot below, but most times it is just informational (to tell you what they are doing) or requires some simple actions and verification by the filer for the IRS to progress your return and refund processing.

This IRS notice will also generally say the IRS needs an additional 60 days to review your return and/or process your refund. This is the statutory number of the days the IRS can ask for to do further reviews, but actual processing could be sooner or later depending on the complexity of the review.

For more information on IRS Notices, please see this help article. 
I got a letter or notice from the IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies