turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

llmadrid04
Returning Member

I already filed my taxes just received my 1099-R can I file this or do I need to amend it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I already filed my taxes just received my 1099-R can I file this or do I need to amend it?

Yes, you will need to amend your return.  The IRS will also get a copy of your 1099-R and will expect to see you report it.  If it is not reported they will likely invite you to explain why.

However, slow down. You obviously rushed to file early without all of your documents (FIs have until 1/31/17 to put that information in the mail to you.)  The amended return form 1040-X will not be available until mid-February.  And, you CANNOT e-file an amended return, you must PRINT and MAIL it --it usually takes the IRS 2-4 months to process an amended return.

Finally, you need to WAIT until you find out if your return has been REJECTED or ACCEPTED.

If it has been rejected that you can simply make the corrections required to fix the rejection AND at the same time add the information from the 1099-R, and re-submit your CORRECTED e-filed return.

If it has been accepted you will have to prepare and mail an amended return ---BUT WAIT until you receive your refund before filing the amended return .

When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you will need to amend your return.  The IRS will also get a copy of your 1099-R and will expect to see you report it.  If it is not reported they will likely invite you to explain why.

However, slow down. You obviously rushed to file early without all of your documents (FIs have until 1/31/17 to put that information in the mail to you.)  The amended return form 1040-X will not be available until mid-February.  And, you CANNOT e-file an amended return, you must PRINT and MAIL it --it usually takes the IRS 2-4 months to process an amended return.

Finally, you need to WAIT until you find out if your return has been REJECTED or ACCEPTED.

If it has been rejected that you can simply make the corrections required to fix the rejection AND at the same time add the information from the 1099-R, and re-submit your CORRECTED e-filed return.

If it has been accepted you will have to prepare and mail an amended return ---BUT WAIT until you receive your refund before filing the amended return .

When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies