turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added a 2016 w-2 to my 2017 w-2 taxes and the irs froze my return so what do i need to do? i have already called the irs but they really didnt tell me anything.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I added a 2016 w-2 to my 2017 w-2 taxes and the irs froze my return so what do i need to do? i have already called the irs but they really didnt tell me anything.

Did the IRS say they were sending you a letter? You should (have) amended your 2016 tax return to include your 2016 W-2.  Each year stands alone, and should never be combined.  If you never filed a 2016 tax return, then you need to file one with 2016 W-2 included, and mail to the IRS.  I suspect they held your  2017 refund when they saw that no 2016 tax return was ever filed.  The IRS most likely will adjust your 2017 tax return themselves, and send you information on what your adjusted return/refund is,  followed eventually by your refund.  Again when you called them, did they tell you to amend, or that they would adjust your return?  Another call might be worth the time.  Good luck- It will get straightened out.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Did the IRS say they were sending you a letter? You should (have) amended your 2016 tax return to include your 2016 W-2.  Each year stands alone, and should never be combined.  If you never filed a 2016 tax return, then you need to file one with 2016 W-2 included, and mail to the IRS.  I suspect they held your  2017 refund when they saw that no 2016 tax return was ever filed.  The IRS most likely will adjust your 2017 tax return themselves, and send you information on what your adjusted return/refund is,  followed eventually by your refund.  Again when you called them, did they tell you to amend, or that they would adjust your return?  Another call might be worth the time.  Good luck- It will get straightened out.

They just said to contact the indivisual tax department and they gave me the number then let them fix it then after they approve or deny it i need to amend it
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies