turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

XxNinixX

I accidentally marked myself as dependent but no one claimed me

I have a question my mother claimed me as a dependent without my knowledge because I wasn’t working at the time but I’m 26 so I don’t know how she did that. Is there any way to not be claimed? Can I not get stimulus or can I try when I files taxes for 2020?

For 2019 she might be able to claim you if you made less than $4,200.  

The Stimulus Check is really based on 2020 tax return. Any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30. If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return. But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any. Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

So when submitting on the non-filer return it had a glitch and some how the box was checked for someone can claim me but it should not be. So after not getting my check I called IRS and they told me I could get it when I file for 2020 but I will not file for taxes I made no money. Now how will I get my 1st and 2nd  stimulus check. Please how can I get this relief money when I don't  file. No one has or can claim me but the mistake check mark is there and I can't change it so no what?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

@Noway2324

Unfortunately, the current IRS procedure is to file a 2020 tax return to claim the payment.  They have not (yet) provided an alternative.  I suggest keeping an eye on these websites for updates, as things are constantly changing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response. I have another question  real quick if you don't mind. I see people talking about amending the return, that would not apply to my situation  right seeing as how it was not a return just sending info in for the stimulus. Thank you again

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Noway2324 Correct. You will file this year's return correctly and all will be well.

But there is the problem I do not file a tax return  I haven't worked this year. So then how would I go about getting the stimulus 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You will be able to file an empty return this year in order to collect your stimulus payments.  There will be many people doing that this tax season.  😉  @Noway2324

Thank you. Now last question how and where will I do the empty return where. Is it going to be the same as the non-filers? Again thank you all so much for helping me understand!😁

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You may be able to use the TurboTax Free edition. Eligible individuals can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 Form 1040 or 1040-SR even if you are not normally required to file tax returns but are eligible for the credit. For additional information, see IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief - Economic Impact Payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies