Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

treyp1980

I accidentally checked box 6a exemption

I accidentally checked the 6a box exemption that says to check if someone else can claim you but nobody will be claiming me will this effect my return in anyway..im hoping it wont matter that i checked it since nobody will be claiming me. hoping this doesnt effect ammount of my return in any way? If i uncheck would that change amount of my return. Im hoping it wont effect anything since nobody will be claiming me period .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SandraM

I accidentally checked box 6a exemption

Yes it will affect your return if you checked the box that someone else can claim you.  If you have e-filed your taxes you will need to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you will need to file an amended return (1040X) and uncheck the box that you can be claimed by someone else. You will need to mail in Form 1040X. You cannot e-file the amended return. 

Please review the following Turbo Tax FAQ, "How to Amend a return you already filed":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114064

Note:  When you check the box you lose the $4050 personal exemption, which increases your taxable income and lowers your refund amount. If someone else could claim you, they would get the $4050 exemption amount on their tax return. 

If you haven't filed your tax return yet please follow these steps to fix:

1. Sign in to your account
  2. Click on "Take me to my return"
  3. Click on "My Info" on the left menu
  4. Click on "Edit" next to your name under Personal Info Summary
  5. Scroll down to #3, "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return" and select "No"
  6. Click Continue
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies