Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wff
Level 2

how to enter IRS penalty applied to 2022 tax return in 2023 TurboTax

I prepared my 2022 tax return in TurboTax showing a refund amount.  Because it was one day late when I filed it (by mail) due to an intervening medical emergency, I got a letter from IRS stating that I owed a penalty and interest greater than my expected refund amount.  After being on hold on the telephone with IRS for over 4 hours (total in 3 calls), I simply "let" IRS keep my expected refund and paid the extra penalty in 2022.  Now, for preparing my 2023 return, TurboTax has imported data from my 2022 return (which still shows the expected refund).  What changes do I need to make in my 2023 TurboTax to account for the IRS-applied penalty that took away the 2022 refund and required an extra penalty payment for 2022?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

IRS penalties are not deductible on nor reported on a federal tax return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You do not make any changes. You do not enter the penalties and interest anywhere. The penalties and interest that you paid for 2022 do not affect your 2023 tax return. The data that TurboTax transferred from your 2022 tax return is still accurate. The penalties and interest do not change that data.

Wff
Level 2

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, which I have taken into consideration.  However, one aspect that appears to be affected in the 2023 return occurs when the 2022 return indicated "apply the refund to next year's return".  Because the 2022 IRS penalty "used up" the expected refund, there is no more refund to apply to the 2023 return.  Therefore, in the 2023 return it's necessary to revise the information taken over from the 2022 return by TurboTax.  In other words, TT "thinks" that the 2022 refund was applied to estimated payments for 2023, but in actuality it was not.

Go to

Federal Taxes

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page scroll down to 2022 Refund Applied to 2023

Click Start or Update and then delete the amount

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies