Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How to amend form 1042-S (Income Code - 29)

How to amend form 1042-S (Income Code - 29)

  • Income Code 29
  • Tried submitting under 1099 INT, but no luck
  • Current tax return status is already accepted
  • The form I received is for the bonus on opening checkings account

Please guide me on which section this needs to be filled.

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

How to amend form 1042-S (Income Code - 29)

Per IRS, code 29 on a Form 1042-S is for reporting interest from your bank accounts.  You would treat it as if you receive a Form 1099-INT.  If you have already filed your taxes, you have two options:

If your return got rejected for any reasons, you can return to the program/account to edit the info along with other changes.  You do not need to file an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, you would need to do an amendment.  To amend, please follow instructions:

In the amendment, to add your interest amount, simply follow these steps:

1.   Sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.   In the upper right corner, in the search box, type in 1099int

3.   Select Jump to 1099int

4.   On screen, Did you receive any interest income? answer Yes to continue to follow prompts

5.  On the screen, Let's get 1099-INT or brokerage statement details, enter the amount in box 1  

         ( check the box for My form has info in more than just box 1 if it applies to you)  

You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  If by editing the information does not change the refund or amount you owe, you do not need to submit the amendment. 

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies