Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to amend CA 540 Return for 2022, and do I need to send along Federal forms, too?

Hello All,

I'm amending my CA 540 Return for 2022, but am not changing any Federal forms.  I made a mistake during the TT interview and did not say that some of my 1099-DIV interest was from US government interest (thus, making it non-state taxable).    

The only changes needed in TT was to specify in the 1099-DIV worksheet, which does not get sent to either Federal or state, it appears.  No changes were made to the federal return or their forms which get sent in.

I'm now wondering what I need to send in to the state besides my CA 540X?  Do I need to send all the federal forms that I sent in initially?  What about 1099's and W-2's?

Thanks a lot !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How to amend CA 540 Return for 2022, and do I need to send along Federal forms, too?

Did the State of CA tell you this? Are they requiring you to Amend your return? A lot of times, if they send you a letter about this, you don't have to amend, you just need to agree with their changes.

If you need to amend, there is a FAQ below. I would send a copy of the Federal return with the Amendment. It probably isn't needed, but just to not cause any delay.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Did the State of CA tell you this? Are they requiring you to Amend your return? A lot of times, if they send you a letter about this, you don't have to amend, you just need to agree with their changes.

If you need to amend, there is a FAQ below. I would send a copy of the Federal return with the Amendment. It probably isn't needed, but just to not cause any delay.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for your reply and the link to how I can amend my return!

Actually, the error is one I caught a few months after I sent in the returns.  I had missed the interview question in TT where it asked if I had any US government interest on my 1099.  By not checking that box and entering the US government interest in the Worksheet for that 1099, I ended up paying Calif state income tax on the interest, when it should have been state tax free. 

I had considered just letting it go, but it's a large enough amount of money that I decided to file a Calif. state amended return to get the money back. I pay them enough as it is, so this was kind of eating at me! 😉

Anyway, so thanks again for the reply and info!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies