turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long should I expect my efile to take before I know that it has gone through?

I have just efiled my taxes and now I read that the efile may not go through for 48 hours.....!!! I need it to be in by midnight tonight
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CalebB

How long should I expect my efile to take before I know that it has gone through?

While it can take the IRS up to 48 hours to process and accept a return, the important thing is the Post mark. Just like when you mail in a return, as long as it's postmarked by the deadline (even though the IRS won't receive it for a few more days) it will be considered to be filed on time.

The same thing applies when you e-file your return. As long as you transmit your return before the deadline (the electronic post mark) your return will be considered to be filed on time.

And don't worry, if for some reason your return is rejected, you'll have another 5 days to make any necessary corrections and file it again, and it will still be considered to be filed on time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CalebB

While it can take the IRS up to 48 hours to process and accept a return, the important thing is the Post mark. Just like when you mail in a return, as long as it's postmarked by the deadline (even though the IRS won't receive it for a few more days) it will be considered to be filed on time.

The same thing applies when you e-file your return. As long as you transmit your return before the deadline (the electronic post mark) your return will be considered to be filed on time.

And don't worry, if for some reason your return is rejected, you'll have another 5 days to make any necessary corrections and file it again, and it will still be considered to be filed on time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies