Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take to get a notice from the IRS after you file your taxes.

I owe a certain amount and want to start paying on it now but I checked the website and tried to find anything and I haven't been able to.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristyW

Since the filing deadline ends on April 17, 2018, the IRS will wait until then to start sending notices. However, if you requested a payment arrangement the IRS will send you a bill with all the information you need after they process your return. If your return was accepted less than 21 days ago, it can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to go from acceptance to approval. This timeframe is unrelated to how, where, or when you filed and it isn't connected to last year.

IRS representatives will be able to research the status of your refund if your return was accepted (received) more than 21 calendar days ago. Call them at 1-800-829-1040, but prepare for potentially long wait times.

You can also register and view your account on the IRS.gov website: https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChristyW

Since the filing deadline ends on April 17, 2018, the IRS will wait until then to start sending notices. However, if you requested a payment arrangement the IRS will send you a bill with all the information you need after they process your return. If your return was accepted less than 21 days ago, it can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to go from acceptance to approval. This timeframe is unrelated to how, where, or when you filed and it isn't connected to last year.

IRS representatives will be able to research the status of your refund if your return was accepted (received) more than 21 calendar days ago. Call them at 1-800-829-1040, but prepare for potentially long wait times.

You can also register and view your account on the IRS.gov website: https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Well I guess that's good news. I did set up an arraignment for money to be taken out at a certain time of the month. I just want to clear it up for me since I haven't done this before.  I was wondering when they may start to take that out?
ChristyW

The IRS will send you a bill with all the information you need after they process your return. They will not start taking anything out until about 30 days after the date on the letter you receive. The letter will specifically state the date, and the last 4 digits of the account it will be debited from. They like to give you time to respond if there are any changes.

Thank you ChristyW.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies