Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take for a tax amendment to be accepted? Will I hear back when it has been approved?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

How long does it take for a tax amendment to be accepted? Will I hear back when it has been approved?

The IRS says it could take 12-16 weeks to process an amended income tax return. You can get confirmation, that the IRS has received your amended income tax return, through Where's My Amended Return?

This is directly from the IRS website  Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue ...

How long will it take to process an amended return?

• Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return can take up to 16 weeks to process once we receive it.
Will calling the IRS help me get my amended return processed any faster?
  • Calling us will not speed up the processing time of your amended return. Our phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of your amended return 16 weeks or more after you’ve mailed it; or if Where's My Amended Return? itself has directed you to contact us.
How will I know you’ve received my amended return and are processing it?
  • Where's My Amended Return? follows the processing stages of your amended return from receipt until completion. It will tell you if your return is in received, adjusted, or completed status.
What is happening when my amended return’s status shows as received?
  • We’ve received your amended return. We are processing it. It can take up to 16 weeks to complete processing.
What is happening when my amended return’s status shows as adjusted?
  • We’ve made an adjustment to your account. The adjustment will result in a refund, balance due, or in no tax change.
What is happening when my amended return’s status shows as completed?
  • We’ve completed processing your return. We’ve mailed you all the information connected to its processing.
How often does the tool update?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a TA because of issues with my return being released...
Anyway... The TA just told me that the IRS can take up to 25 weeks to process your amended return... Smh... Such BS the IRS creates and utilizes their own loopholes!!
I am extremely upset.

I filed my amended tax form electronically feb 25. Been accepted. Nothing yet. I believe this is week 26. So yea… amended returns definitely taking over 25 weeks to process. 

Expect an amended return to take 6 months to a year to process at this time ... the IRS is wayyyyy behind.  Check the IRS tool once a week for a progress report. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies