Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long before my refund shows approved?

My husband and I just married September. We filed Married filing jointly this year. We filed 1/25 and on WMR it shows return received but not approved. How long does it typically take to get approved? Is it because we are filing difference than last year they are paying closer attention?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LauraVF

No, it has nothing to do with your new filing status.

After your return gets transmitted to the IRS, it can take up to 48 hours for it to be processed. The refund process starts after the return has been accepted by the IRS. The IRS is expecting to issue a refund within 21 days of accepting your return.

View solution in original post

25 Replies
LauraVF

No, it has nothing to do with your new filing status.

After your return gets transmitted to the IRS, it can take up to 48 hours for it to be processed. The refund process starts after the return has been accepted by the IRS. The IRS is expecting to issue a refund within 21 days of accepting your return.

I know have the “return is still being processed a refund date will be provided when available” - a lot of people that had this last year had to ID verify..
mz2qt

True I did. They wouldn't help me until AFTER it was exactly 21 days and then told me I had to wait an additional 21 days from the correction BUT it came within 7 days. filed this year early wmr said accepted 1/26/18. hope it's an early release/direct deposit this year.

I had this message last year and it only was on there a day and next day I had my deposit. I am hoping it was just re-sequenced. I went into my local IRS today and they told me the same thing. They couldn't help until 21 days or if I receive a letter.

UPDATE: it updated this morning to a DDD of feb 5! So if you have this message it isn’t always something bad
mz2qt

CONGRATZ @cierraakers143  
mz2qt

My co-worker filed on 1/19/2018 he just text me he got his direct deposit today!

Did they have any credits?

I had an education credit but no child credits

Oh okay that makes a difference

So if you filed with your children it wont be approved until mid Feb? And if i filed on the 31st about how long will it be until im approved with a ddd
tamwil-

My 21days was the 18th

How long

@Robert14649 wrote:

How long

Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies