Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How import prior years returns? New computer, but I still have the files of the prior years.

This should NOT be this difficult to import prior year returns into the same software.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

154 Replies

How import prior years returns? New computer, but I still have the files of the prior years.

Import or transfer ?   These are different things.  So are you trying to just move everything from the old computer to the new computer ? 

Are you trying to use the ONLINE version after using the Downloaded one in the past  and need to transfer the 2018 info to the 2019 tax year?  

A little bit of both.  I have the files from the old PC hard drive (2015-2018) that I want to maintain the history in Turbo Tax.

Got a new PC, bought & downloaded 2019 but I cannot find a way to import the data from prior years.

You can't transfer the programs.  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a PDF file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and PDF files are stored.  Then copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.  Those can always be at least read by any system, even if they can't be used directly by the program.

Save the PDF for each year twice.

1) Once as the tax return for filing   (this contains just the filing tax forms)

2) Again as the tax return, but with ALL the forms and worksheets (this contains all of your worksheets and shows all  of your entries on some form or another).

The selection of the bare tax return, or the extended tax return with everything is made during the Save-to-PDF process.

And back those PDFs up to a backup USB or CD....every year we get tons of folks begging for access to a tax return on a crashed disk....TTX doesn't have it...only you do when you use the desktop software.

How do I move my tax data file to another computer?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302258

I have never used a 'chat' or whatever this is for help.  Do I wait her like an idiot waiting for some good Samaritan to answer my question?

You do not import from prior years ... the prior year info is transferred from year to year to build the history ... so install the 2019 program and you can OPEN the tax file  and next year the 2019 info can be transferred into the 2020 return.  

If your 2019 tax file has a state in it you will need to start a fake return to install that state BEFORE you can open the tax file.   

This is not a live chat ... it is a public forum so yes you wait for an answer. 

I did that, I moved the pdf files from the prior year tax returns (2015-2018) and in the folder where Turbo Tax saves the files (MyDocuments\Turbo Tax).  And nothing happens - I cannot see them in TTax, they do not show up in history, or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Ok, so how do I "transfer" the historical cumulative data from my prior year return (2018)?

Are you suggesting that I 'open' the old tax return (2018) while I am in the 2019 TTax?

Make sure the .taxfiles can be found by making sure they are on your hard drive not a removable storage system.  See if you can find them with a search to see where they are and maybe save them to your desktop so you can find them easier. 

@barnes338 wrote:

Ok, so how do I "transfer" the historical cumulative data from my prior year return (2018)?

Are you suggesting that I 'open' the old tax return (2018) while I am in the 2019 TTax?

Ok ... you do not need to open the old program ... the cumulative history is transferred automatically  from the last .taxfile ... so you need the .tax2018 file (not PDF)  to transfer to the 2019 program. 

Tax1946

I prepared my 2018 on a different computer last year and need a copy..

How can I access it to  get a copy?

This is for user barnes338 not Tax1946

@barnes338 

Did you move/copy the .tax files in addition to the pdf file?  You only need the xxxxx.tax2018 file to transfer into 2019.  Start a new 2019 return, go up to File-New.  Then the first thing it should do is find any 2018 files to transfer.  If it doesn't find the .tax2018 file you can browse to where you put it.  

You may be past these notes but here they are again for Moving to another computer on Windows.  

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2016, .tax2017, .tax2018, etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

If you started 2019 on another computer and want to open it on a new computer......... 
After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

You reinstall the federal program -> run update -> download the state program -> run update. Then make sure the .tax20yy file is moved to new computer. Do not Open that file from the transfer medium.

You can't transfer the programs. They have to be installed from the CD or Download. You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.

@Tax1946 wrote:

I prepared my 2018 on a different computer last year and need a copy..

How can I access it to  get a copy?

The PDF is on the old computer ONLY unless you saved the PDF to a removable storage medium ... if so copy the to the new hard drive.   If you did not save a PDF (only a .tax2018 file) then you can either open the return using the 2018 program on the old computer then save a pdf to move  OR  download/install the 2018 program on the new computer to open the old tax file and save the PDF.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies