turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tms1

How does my son file an amendment because he forgot to check the box that he can be claimed as a dependent on our taxes? Our efile was rejected because he forgot.

We looked at just deleting him and our refund disappeared and we owed instead.  He is under 19 and lives with us full time.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How does my son file an amendment because he forgot to check the box that he can be claimed as a dependent on our taxes? Our efile was rejected because he forgot.

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2018 tax return that was filed with TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4667233-how-do-i-amend-a-2018-return-in-turbotax

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. Your son will have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

He should not file the amended return until his original return has been accepted and he has received the original refund.

However, even after your son files his amended return you will not be able to e-file your return this year. You will have to print your tax return, sign it, and file it by mail.

tms1

Thank you! We are confused by the 1040x instructions which say not to fill in line 24- yet that is the line that needs to be amended- it seems to me that he needs to submit the form, not fill out line 24 but in part III explain that he forgot to check the box that he can be claimed as a dependent. Does that sound right?
tms1

Thank you! We are confused by the 1040x instructions which say not to fill in line 24- yet that is the line that needs to be amended- it seems to me that he needs to submit the form, not fill out line 24 but in part III explain that he forgot to check the box that he can be claimed as a dependent. Does that sound right?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, that sounds right. You don't fill out anything in Part I at all. It seems like the IRS didn't think about your situation when they modified the 1040X form and instructions for 2018, although it is a common situation.

Depending on your son's income, 1040X line 2 might change, since there are special rules for the standard deduction for someone who can be claimed as a dependent. That would result in changes in some of the lines below that. It sounds like you are filling out Form 1040X by hand instead of using TurboTax. It would be safer to use TurboTax, to make sure that the standard deduction is handled correctly.

you must have the revised 1040 in your hand to compare with the original 1040.
there are no exemptions in 2018 so that is why Line 24 is not applicable.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies