Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you file a second amended return for the same tax year

I already filed an amended 2014 tax return. However I just realized that I need to file an second amended return for 2014. How do I do that? When I put the information in turbo tax it doesn't seem like it recognizes the first amended return. It looks like it is making the adjustment against my original 2014 return and not my adjusted 2014 return. Can you please advise?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do you have a copy of the .tax2014 data file for the original return, before the first amended return? The easiest way to prepare the second amended return would be the following. Make a new copy of the original .tax2014 file with a different name (so that you don't damage the original file). Open the copy and, without going through the amend process, make the changes that were made by your first amended return. You now have a dummy "original" return that incorporates the changes from the first amended return. This dummy return is the base for the second amended return. Now start the amend process and prepare the second amended return.

If you don't have a copy of the .tax2014 data file for the original return, and you are amending only the federal return, not the state, you should be able to delete Form 1040X, which will leave you with a 1040 "original" return that includes the changes from the first amended return. Then start the amend process over again and it will make the adjustments against the numbers from the first amended return. Do this on a new copy of the .tax2014 data file with a different name so that you retain a copy of the first 1040X and you don't take a chance of messing up the original file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What did you do to amend the first time?  Did you prepare, print, sign and mail a 1040X to the IRS?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes I did. They received it, agreed with the change and sent me a refund check of $318 that was due to me. It took about 6 month to receive my refund. Now I need to submit another amended 1040 for 2014 and turbo tax doesn't seem to recognize the previous amended return I filed.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do you have a copy of the .tax2014 data file for the original return, before the first amended return? The easiest way to prepare the second amended return would be the following. Make a new copy of the original .tax2014 file with a different name (so that you don't damage the original file). Open the copy and, without going through the amend process, make the changes that were made by your first amended return. You now have a dummy "original" return that incorporates the changes from the first amended return. This dummy return is the base for the second amended return. Now start the amend process and prepare the second amended return.

If you don't have a copy of the .tax2014 data file for the original return, and you are amending only the federal return, not the state, you should be able to delete Form 1040X, which will leave you with a 1040 "original" return that includes the changes from the first amended return. Then start the amend process over again and it will make the adjustments against the numbers from the first amended return. Do this on a new copy of the .tax2014 data file with a different name so that you retain a copy of the first 1040X and you don't take a chance of messing up the original file.

Thanks for the helping hand, rjs!
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies