turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aznboy01

How do I prepare/print 1099 tax forms for my contractors using TurboTax Self-Employed online? I am directed to Quick Employer Forms to TurboTax Home & Business only.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do I prepare/print 1099 tax forms for my contractors using TurboTax Self-Employed online? I am directed to Quick Employer Forms to TurboTax Home & Business only.

You can use TurboTax Self-Employed online to prepare and e-file forms 1099-MISC.

To prepare forms 1099-MISC, follow these steps:

• Sign out of your account and sign in again. On the landing page, click on Prepare W2s and 1099s (see attached screenshot).
  • You will be taken to the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms (QEF) website.
  • Sign in with your TurboTax username and password. If you do not have an account, click Create Account to create a new account. Note carefully the username and password as you need then if you need to retrieve the forms later.
  • After signing in, click on Create New Form
  • On the next page, choose the type of forms you wish to prepare then click Continue to begin entering information for your forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aznboy01

My landing page doesn't have the "Manage My Return" option. It just has a "Your tax returns & documents" option below.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Sign out of your return and sign in again to get to the landing page.
aznboy01

I did sign out and sign in again and those were the options.
aznboy01

The landing page reads "You're doing great. Keep going!
Let's continue your 2017 return
Take me to my return
Tax return status: In Progress
You are currently preparing your return." and the option below is "Your tax returns & documents".
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Click on Take me to my return and on the next page, you'll have the link Create W2s and 1099s
aznboy01

When I click on Take me to my return, it just takes me to "Personal info summary" and has no links for create W2s and 1099s.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Click on this link to go directly to the QEF website:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/signin.htm?url=https%3A%2F%2Fquickemployerforms.intuit.com%2Fw...>
aznboy01

How do I prepare/print 1099 tax forms for my contractors using TurboTax Self-Employed online? I am directed to Quick Employer Forms to TurboTax Home &amp; Business only.

I originally tried using this link (screenshot in original question) but it only indicated "To continue with unlimited access to TurboTax Quick Employer Forms, you must be using 2017 TurboTax Business or 2017 TurboTax Home & Business software products, which can be purchased here," and no option for TurboTax Self-Employed.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do I prepare/print 1099 tax forms for my contractors using TurboTax Self-Employed online? I am directed to Quick Employer Forms to TurboTax Home &amp; Business only.

Try clearing your browsing history and cookies on your browser. Close your browser. Restart your computer. Log into your Turbotax account. Click on Take me to my return and you should get the landing page where to the link to create 1099s is. I have tried multiple times on my side and it works. You could also try using another browser.

I'm not sure I trust what TurboTax says about their Quick Employer Forms.  If you enter data, it might disappear instead of being saved (as promised).

On about January 10, 2020, I (eventually) figured out how to enter payee data at the TurboTax web pages for eventual printing and eFiling of IRS Forms 1099-MISC (block 7, NEC Compensation) due tomorrow, January 31, 2020.  [For my 2019 returns, I upgraded to TTax Home & Business -- specifically because I wanted the advertised ability to eFile my 1099-MISC forms and know that my current 2019 data would be saved online for quick & easy transfer to next year.]

(1) It turned into a time-wasting hassle to (eventually) discover that the ability to enter 1099-MISC info via the online web pages could NOT be accessed from my freshly-created and therefore existing 2019 TTax file in my desktop computer. Instead, when first opening TTax I had to click the "Start a new return" button and from there choose to enter 1099-MISC (or W2, etc.) data. That worked and I manually entered data for about 30 payees. I chose not to eFile at that time (TTax FAQs explain that my data would be saved online for later eFiling and for transfer to next year). Instead of immediately eFiling, I opted to wait until the end of January (i.e., today, 01/30/2020) in case errors needed to be corrected before eFiling. [NOTE -- There was NO "sign out" link or button available on any of the screens that appeared for me, so I simply closed the browser window. Chrome browser.]

(2) Today, 01/30/2020, I am trying to get back to my previously-entered 1099-MISC data that is supposed to be stored someplace within my online account at TTax ... ... ... and, after successfully logging in with my username and password, I cannot find any of my previously-entered data. The option to enter brand new data appears, but NO saved data from a couple of weeks ago. AARRGGH! A link to previously-saved data does NOT appear when I use the "Start a new return" button when TTax first loads. I cannot find a link to my already-entered data when I go back into my already-started 2019 tax file that's stored in my desktop computer. AARRGGH!

Now I wonder why I wasted my time and money upgrading my TTax product so that I could (supposedly) enter and eFile 1099-MISC forms via TTax to the IRS.

I used the Quick Employers Forms to created and filed 1099-M for my contractors. I didn't save the forms I filed. Can I find and download those forms I filed in past seven years? Thanks.

Manage cookies