Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coolclear

How do I make my 2ND amendment? Obviously it has to be based on my 1ST amendment, but I don't find a way to do so.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I make my 2ND amendment? Obviously it has to be based on my 1ST amendment, but I don't find a way to do so.

First do nothing until the first amended return has fully processed ... then simply log back in and start the amendment process again ... when you look at the 1040X  column A should have the first amendment's figures.

It is taking months for the IRS to process amended returns.  So your first amended return may very  well still be sitting in a pile of unopened mail.  The IRS is working on opening over 11 million pieces if mail that piled up in trailers during the pandemic.   The "normal" four months to process an amended return is taking much longer.  If you mail or send in a second amended return before they finish processing the first one, you could create a lot more confusion and delay and wait for a VERY long time.  Wait.    You have three years to file an amended return--so you have plenty of time.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies