Chas56

How do I get TurboTax to move itemized deduction information from my federal return to my Virginia state return when the standard deduction is claimed in my federal form?

MarilynG

"Virginia’s tax code does not permit taxpayers to itemize deductions on their state return if they use the standard deduction on their federal taxes. 

If they use the standard deduction on the federal return, they must also use the state’s standard deduction. 

This has not been a huge issue in the past but will become a significant issue for 2018 taxes."

More info from Virginia Dept. of Revenue:

https://tax.virginia.gov/deductions

MarilynG

https://tax.virginia.gov/deductions