lizek

How do I check if fed return has been processed? I owe taxes - no refund. Filed by paper. Received USPS tracking note - delivered mid-Feb. No other communication.

CassLO

For the most up to date information regarding your refund visit the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates.Updates are made daily, usually overnight.

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS once your return is "Accepted". If the Where’s My Federal Refund? site shows your tax return is processing,  during this time the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts. 

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent. At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Please see the links below for more information:

Note: If your information is being entered correctly on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site, stimulus is taking precedence over all else at this time. So the transcript may not be available for use right now on the IRS sites Continue to monitor your refund on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight.

Be sure when checking Where’s My Federal Refund? site that you are entering only your Federal refund amount. This can be found on your Federal form 1040, line 21a. If you paid any fees out of your federal refund, use the refund figure prior to the deduction of he fees. Also if you filed joint, be sure to enter the filers name that appears first on the return.

You can also check your tax transcripts by going here: Welcome to Get Transcript

If you don't have an account, you will need to set one up.

lizek

By clicking the link in the answer it does indeed take me to the IRS webpage for checking refunds. You need to enter the exact amount of the refund. I am not expecting a refund, I have money to pay. So this does not seem to help me in my situation. I received a letter from California State on the money that I owe them, but not the Feds. 

How do I check if my Federal Tax return has been processed? Again, I had to send it via USPS, not an on-line filing.