If you printed your taxes to mail them in and went all the way through the File section, when you sign in to TurboTax Online you'll see the Way to go! You filed your 2020 taxes and you won't see a way to change to e-filing. As long as you haven't already mailed your 2020 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2021). However, some states now require e-filing, which means the federal and state must be e-filed together.
- In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
- Select Tax Home in the left menu.
- Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
- Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
- Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
- On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
- Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
- On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
- Follow the instructions to e-file your return.
To recover your user ID or password:
- Go to the account recovery page.
- Enter one of the following:
- Phone number (recommended)
- Email address
- User ID
- Follow the instructions. We'll customize them based on the info you provide and whether we recognize the device.
Once you're done, we'll either send you a code to help you recover your account, or show/send you a list of accounts associated with your info.
If you’re still unable to recover your account, select Try something else on the Account Recovery page. We'll ask additional questions to verify your identity.
Keep in mind: Once you're back in your account, we recommend you enter or update your phone number. This increases your account security and makes it easier to recovery your account.