Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I change my direct deposit bank information

I'm sure you'll agree as a tax expert that users should not risk emailing people posting in this public tax forum on the Internet. 

How do I change my direct deposit information for future reference 

You can only enter or change banking information when you are ready to file a tax return.   TurboTax is not a portal to give banking information to the IRS at any other time.  

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Change my direct deposit information 

@Altobloody Just above your question is a reply that really applies to your own post---read a thread before you post the same question that has already been answered in the thread.  But---here is it again.

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.

If you e-filed:

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ojacord

Someone else put there bank information in for my deposit. I didn't have a Green Dot card. I have a NetSpend card my information is Metabank account number is [phone number removed]37 my routing number is [removed] . If you have any questions please call me at 

[phone number removed]. Thank you Orval Acord.

ojacord

I need my direct deposit information change please. I didn't have a Green Dot card. I have a NetSpend card the information is Metabank account number is [phone number removed]37 and the routing number is [removed]. Please change my information for me. Orval Acord

@ojacord No one can change your banking information for you.   We have no access to your account or your tax return.   And.....luckily for you the filter removed that banking information you tried to post here on a public web site where it could be seen and used by an identity thief.  Please do not post personal information here.

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

If you e-filed:

How do I change my direct deposit bank info?

@Kimberly true-pegueros  You cannot change your banking information here if you already filed your tax return.   It will not go to the IRS.    If your tax refund is being sent to a wrong or closed bank account, it will be sent back to the IRS and then the IRS will issue a check and mail it to the address on your tax return.

If you are asking about banking information for the monthly child tax credits, the portal on the IRS site is not ready yet but sometime in August you should be able to use it to enter banking information:

Read Manage Payments

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

Jpr0629

I'm needing to know how too change my banking information to a new account, I've already received my return an have changed banks since I received my return.

@Jpr0629 You cannot change your banking information for direct deposit here until you are ready to file your 2021 tax return.   When you go through the FILE section for that 2021 return you can enter new banking information.  Until you e-file your next return, no banking information is transmitted from TurboTax to the IRS

If this is for the monthly child tax credit payments  you can only make banking changes on the IRS portal for Manage Payments.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

Twan2416

How do I changed my direct deposit Bank information

You can change your direct deposit information when you go through the FILE section.   You will need to enter the routing number for your bank and your own account number.    Make sure you get it entered correctly before you file; it cannot be changed later.

st3wart1

What if I put the right routing number and the right bank account number but put say "chime" instead of bankcorp as the bank name ...should the direct deposit still work? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies