Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my last year's return and add my husband that does not have a social security number?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomK
Expert Alumni

How do I amend my last year's return and add my husband that does not have a social security number?

If your husband does not have a Social Security Number, I would recommend that he get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). In order for a person to be able to file an income tax return or to be claimed as a dependent on another tax payer's tax return, the IRS requires that they have either a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).  For your convenience I have included a link below where your spouse can apply for an ITIN so that you will be able to include them on your 2018 income tax return.  

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/individual-taxpayer-identification-number

Without your spouse's SS# or ITIN, you will not be able to efile a married filing jointly or married filing separately tax return.  The only other option would be to paper file your return as married filing separately.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for information on “How do I amend a 2017 return on TurboTax”: How do I amend a 2017 return in TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies